We share these basic beliefs* as disciples of Jesus Christ:
- God seeks to restore fallen humanity by calling a people to be faithful in all of life.
- Jesus is the son of God who taught how to be faithful. Through his cross and resurrection, he redeemed the world.
- The church is a community of those the Spirit calls to turn from sin, acknowledge Jesus as Lord, receive baptism and follow Christ in life.
- The Bible is interpreted in light of Jesus by the faith community, under the Holy Spirit's guidance.
- The Holy Spirit empowers us to become peacemakers who renounce violence, love our enemies, seek justice and share possessions with those in need.
- The faith community gathers regularly to worship, celebrate the Lord's Supper and to hear the Word of God in a spirit of mutual accountability.
- We seek to live in the world without conforming to the powers of evil. We witness to God's grace by serving others, caring for creation and inviting others to know Jesus.
(*Adopted by Mennonite World Conference General Council)
A bit of history
First Mennonite Church, MPherson began in 1945. We have membership in the Mennonite Church USA. The Mennonite Church USA is one of 20 groups of North American Mennonites with varied lifestyle and religious practices, which all stem from the Anabaptist ("baptized again") movement of the 1500s. Today Mennonites worship in 61 countries.
Mennonites believe that Jesus Christ is central to worship and to everyday living and that to be Christian is to follow Christ's example in all of life. Membership is voluntary, with adult baptism upon declaration of faith. We welcome all who seek to follow Christ in life.